Amanda grew up on a farm near Cootamundra and, after obtaining her qualifications in Canberra, returned to Cootamundra in 2006 to become part of JMA Legal.
As one of the director’s Amanda is a senior member of the commercial team. She has focussed on a wide range of business succession and other commercial matters.
Amanda is highly experienced in providing technical tax and trust advice to clients, accountants and other lawyers. She advises on and prepares estate planning documents to suit a wide range of clients, and particularly enjoys working on ways to deal with complex business and family situations.
She has extensive experience in:
- Wills and estate planning – simple wills, testamentary trust wills, wills dealing with complex business structures and discretionary trusts,
- Preparing partnership, shareholder and unitholder agreements,
- Advising clients in relation to trusts, companies and superannuation,
- Establishing and restructuring business structures,
- Succession planning,
- Transfer duty and the available exemptions;
- Capital gain tax, with an emphasis on the small business concessions;
- Dealing with the transfer of property out of companies, with an emphasis on the provisions contained in Division 7A; and
- Business entity and transactional taxes generally.
Amanda has a strong commitment to preparing documents that are in plain English but also effectively deal with the many complexities that arise due to family and business circumstances.
Amanda has a Bachelor of Laws degree and a Bachelor of Arts degree from the University of Canberra and a Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice from the Australian National University.
She has written numerous articles covering tax issues and recently, the NSW Law Society Journal started publishing her articles.