Position: Special Counsel
Jim grew up on a farm west of Cootamundra and, except for time away at boarding school and jackarooing, has lived there all his life.
In his spare time Jim is Chair of Adina Care, a local community owned aged care facility, teaches ethics at the Cootamundra Primary School and does regular presentations about the urgent problem of climate change. For relaxation it is time with family and friends and gardening.
Jim was admitted in 1976 and has extensive experience in the following:
- Complex family and business succession and restructuring,
- Estate planning including complex wills, testamentary trusts and superannuation,
- Capital gains tax advice with a focus on the small business exemptions,
- Complex probates,
- Revenue NSW duty and available exemptions,
- Advising on trusts, companies, partnerships and superannuation,
- Dealing with the transfer of property out of various entities with an emphasis on capital gains tax, transfer duty and division 7A
In the area of complex tax Jim has provided technical advice to accountants, lawyers and clients around NSW and ACT for many years.
Jim also provides weekly technical training to the members of the commercial team.
Jim has a Diploma in Law, is an Accredited Business Law Specialist and a Chartered Tax Advisor with the Tax Institute of Australia.
Jim has written numerous articles covering complex tax issues including bimonthly articles in the NSW Law Society Journal. Jim has also presented at seminars on tax and succession issues.